Saturday, October 9, 2010

"Roxy" x "Dallas" foal born!






So.... I was HOME ALONE for the week--- In the morning, when I checked my mares, "Roxy" was in labor! Sure enough, that night, August 24th, 10:15 p.m., her foal was born! So by myself, (I usually do this by myself anyways!) I dried it off, treated the navel, gave it a vitamin shot, pro-biotics, and made sure it nursed. I was so excited---- another curly!! ("Dallas" is 100% curls so far) AND a bay FILLY! Was hoping it would be a amber champagne like her mom, but HEY! I will take curls any day!
I made sure mom was okay, checked the placenta, buried it, then went to bed-- about 1:30 a.m. I got up at 3:30 a.m. (I wake up every night at that time with a major HOT FLASH!! :< anyways! )
So the next day was hot and the little girl was acting plugged up. So I gave her an enema-- weird for a filly-- usually colts have to be helped--AND treated the navel-- AND again did this by myself.
So day three I went out to check my gorgeous curly filly and I am like-- YIKES! Her navel was swollen or herniated big time! A closer look revealed that indeed the curly filly was a curly HORSE COLT! I really do need to wear my glasses at all times! WARM FUZZIES TO YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment